Monday, May 30, 2011

Beginnings

    Running down the street, my feet stepping on pieces of old buildings and trees, I could see only where the streetlamps shined. I remember it was a beautiful night, cool and quiet but none of that mattered. All I thought about was home...and how I never wanted to go back there.
    It was downtown Detroit in the middle of June. I pass by my old school and my favorite ice cream parlor when I was a kid. I had no idea why I decided to go this way tonight. This isn't the normal route I take to get out of my house. I see the old building I was looking for, destroyed and abandoned, just sitting on the street corner. Everyone in town seems to think that this building is haunted. Ironically, this is the building I feel safest in.
    I step around George, a fifty-six year old homeless guy who justs LOVES to hang out here and yell at people on the street. He seems to be sleeping so I walk up the broken steps to the door, but right as I'm about to reach for the door, I hear George mumble something to me.
"Go back to sleep George!"
I'm still way too upset to deal with drunk idiots tonight. Once I'm inside, I walk through the dining area which has painting peeling off the walls, who knows how many species of numerous bugs, and smells like a few people died in here. I see the broken elevator down the hall but I must take "The Twenty-Seven Flight of Stairs Trip" to the roof of the building. Even if the elevator did work, I don't think I would trust it not to kill me and take the entire building with me.
    By the time I reach the final step, all I can do is hope that there isn't any drug addicts up here again. I push the door open, and I step inside. As I walk over to a mattress I found up here, the floor creeks and shakes. It stops me for only a second, then I lay down, close my eyes, and just think. How did I get to this point?...How did my family get to this point?...
    After a long while, I become aware that another person has come to the roof, but I don't remember hearing the door open. I open my eyes. I see the silhouette walk around but I don't hear feet or feel the building creek and shake.
"Who are you?..."
"Okay, seriously, I am NOT in the mood for this shit!"
No answer but now I can tell that its a man. Probably just a druggy. So I close my eyes and try to think some more. I open my eyes again and he's standing next me. I look up...he has the beauty of a full moon. The mystery, the feel, the smell, the intensity. I'm stuck, lost in his eyes. Then, somehow, a sound catches my attention and I break the gaze. When I look back, my full moon is gone.
    When reality catches up to me, I zoom down the rickety stairs, and almost step on George. I hear him yell a few creative expletives but I'm in too much of a hurry to care right now. Finally I reach my house, I step inside and there's no lights, no sounds, no family. I search all the rooms...nothing. Did the cops come pick them up again? Are they at the hospital again? As I stand there, alone, I think about my family...I never should have left. I should of stayed here to keep the peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment